Follow us on:
  • Google +1
  • twitter
  • Facebook
  • Linkedin

Syria says US should not intervention

The Sydney News.Net Sunday 25th August, 2013

US military intervention in Syria may provoke more violence in the Middle East, according to Syrian officials.


Over the weekend the White House released a statement saying Washington was ready to act if it could be proved the government of President Bashar al-Assad was responsible for an alleged deadly chemical weapons attack near the capital Damascus.

Syria's opposition claimed during the week that around 1,300 people had been killed in a government chemical gas attack in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar.

Opposition militants were in the area at the time.

Syrian Army officials have rejected any notion that the army may have been responsible for the alleged chemical attack, saying the accusations had been fabricated to distract a visiting team of the UN chemical weapons experts.

Photos which came from the area at the time of the attack have upset world leaders and the general public, with images of people, including many children, gasping for breath and foaming at the mouth.

On Saturday, Syrian Information Minister, Omran al-Zoubi, told the press that any intervention by the United States would trigger more violence in the Middle East.

Speaking on Lebanese TV station al-Mayadeen, he said: "The basic repercussion would be a ball of fire that would burn not only Syria but the whole Middle East. An attack on Syria would be no easy trip."

On Friday, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said the Pentagon had already moved ships and forces into place in case US President Barack Obama decided to take military action against Syria.

Comments

");

Comments

  • No comments yet for this story

Have your say

  • By submitting your comment you agree to our terms and conditions