Breaking Sydney News.Net - The Sydney News.Net
     
Home

Unknown terror group says it set off bombs in India

The Sydney News.Net
Thursday 15th May, 2008

A previously unknown Islamic group has claimed responsibility for a string of bombings that killed 63 people in Jaipur in India.

The group has already warned of more attacks on Indian tourist targets.

Police in Jaipur are investigating an email from the 'Indian Mujahideen,' which has claimed to be involved in the bombings.

An email from the group to media organisations said it was waging an open war against India for supporting the United States and the United Kingdom “on international issues.”

A video clip, sent in the same email, showed a few seconds of a bicycle packed with explosives, which was purportedly set off later at one of the eight blast locations in Jaipur.

The bombs, planted on bicycles, went off on Tuesday night at crowded markets and close to several Hindu temples in the city, 260km west of the Indian capital.

Some 216 people were wounded in what police said was the first terror attack in the Rajasthan state capital.

Email this story to a friend



Have your say on this story

Your name/nickname (optional)
Message title
Message
Image verification This is a captcha-picture. It is used to prevent mass-access by robots. (see: www.captcha.net)
(enter the verification code from the image above)


Top Stories  



RSS Feed