Marinated anchovies are not just a recipe or a cooking method; they are a preservation technique that allows these delicate fish to retain their freshness and flavor for longer periods. Derived from the term “marinated,” which originally referred to carp, this technique is commonly used in Lombardy and Piedmont to preserve freshwater fish. Let's dive into the process to understand how marinated anchovies are made.
To prepare marinated anchovies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500g anchovies
- 2 shallots
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 carrot
- White wine vinegar
- White wine
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
Preparing marinated anchovies is a simple yet efficient method to preserve the properties of these freshwater fish. Follow the step-by-step guide below:
- Boil a glass of water, a glass of wine, and a glass of vinegar in a pot.
- Add the shallots, celery stalk, carrot (cut into small pieces), and marjoram to the boiling mixture.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- While the mixture is boiling, clean the anchovies or have your trusted fishmonger do it for you.
- Coat the anchovies in flour.
- Fry the floured anchovies in hot vegetable oil.
- Use a slotted spoon to drain the fried anchovies and transfer them to a shallow container.
- Pour the warm marinade over the fried anchovies, making sure to add any remaining aromatics.
- Let the anchovies marinate for an hour.
- After marinating, the marinated anchovies are ready to be served.
The flavor of these marinated anchovies is truly sublime and deserves to be experienced. The preservation technique ensures that the freshness of the sea is captured in every bite, allowing you to enjoy the deliciousness of anchovies long after they have been caught.
I am Michael, a passionate food enthusiast and part of The Sydney News team. With a culinary background, I am dedicated to sharing simple and quick recipes for both beginners and advanced cooks. One time, while writing a mouthwatering recipe, I accidentally spilled flour all over my laptop, resulting in a comical situation that had us all laughing in the office.